Bobby Glenn has been involved with KTC for forty years as an outstanding runner, energetic volunteer, race director, and club executive.
He ran track at Gresham MS from 1975-1976 (2:13 880 best in 1976 as an 8th grader), then ran cross-country and track at Central HS in Knoxville from 1976-1979, and was a member of the state championship 4x800 (7:48) in 1979. Bobby also ran cross-country and track at UT Knoxville 1979-1981.
Bobby started running KTC races in 1976 when Hal and Ginny Canfield organized races for the club. In those days they ran a 20k and even a 30k, all on Cherokee Blvd. He also ran KTC summer track meets in the summers.
He participated in the first Expo 10k in 1978, as well as many Expos over the years, and had a streak of 11 top 10 finishes at Expo from 1987-1997, with a best finish of 2nd overall.
Bobby's personal bests include:
• 800m - 1:58.5
• Mile - 4:28
• 2 Mile - 9:25
• 5k - 15:02
• 8k - 25:20
• 10k - 31:44
• 15k - 49:27
• 10M - 54:20
• Half Marathon - 1:13:30
• Marathon - 2:40:05
In addition to a fine running career, Bobby was integrally involved in coaching and directing youth programming for the club and the community.
• KTC’s Summer Youth Program site director 1988-1990
• KTC Competitive Team Director 1991-1997
• KTC Fall Cross Country Site Director 1992 - 1996
• Took KTC teams to Nationals in New Orleans, Des Moines, Gainesville, Cleveland, Joplin MO, as well as many Association and Regional meets
• Coached Gresham Middle School Cross-Country in KTC and later KYA fall cross country program 2009-
• He’s also been volunteer Coach Central High School Cross Country/Distance 1987-1992 with 2 runners winning multiple state championships, setting 3 school records which still stand, with one runner advancing to Foot Locker finals in San Diego.
Bobby has been Race Director Big South Fork Trail Runs in each of its 23 years since 1994, as well as the Treadin’ Trodden Trails Dark Hollow Wallow trail race for each of its five years. He’s served as race director for several other KTC events over the years. In 2009 Bobby joined KTC’s Trail Committee and has served on the KTC Board of Directors twice, from 1988-1994 and 2011-2012.
In January 2013 Bobby stepped in as KTC Interim Executive Director, serving in that capacity from January to March, at which point he was hired as full-time Director through November 2014.
For the 10 years from about 1997-2007, he dropped back from most activities except Big South Fork, concentrating on the family’s two young children and dealing with a job that was quite all encompassing.
In recent years his running has strictly been for fun and non-competitive, with a preference these days for trail running (despite bad ankles!)
He’s been married to wife Mary Nelle for 24 years and counting. They have two girls (Kinsey and Sidney) who are both at UT Chattanooga.