Kathy was involved in a variety of sports, but despite getting a later start in running, she led her Farragut high school team to a cross country State championship her senior year. She went onto compete as a Lady Vol in cross country and track and field, but circumstances due to father’s untimely death cut short her collegiate athletic career. She moved ahead to pursue her degree, and with a strong academic background in Biochemistry was able to launch a profession in the pharmaceutical industry, eventually leading to a successful 20-plus year career in the competitive medical industry. Competitive racing was once again on hold.
Kathy resumed running competitively in her later 30’s and qualified for the 2000 US Olympic Marathon Trials. She raced multiple distances as part of the Atlanta Track Club, while maintaining a demanding work schedule, and eventually starting a family with her husband Dave. They moved back to Knoxville in 2005 to raise their family and Kathy quickly became a part of the local running community.
Today she is one of the elite masters runners in the Nation, proudly representing the Knoxville Track Club and Runners Market locally. She presently holds 46 state single-age records at every distance from 1500m to the marathon. Her most daunting masters achievements have been in the longer races, where she has either placed as top overall female or masters in most every marathon in which she has competed. In 2008, just weeks after having her third child, she placed third overall in the Knoxville Marathon. She followed that up with remarkable first place performances in 2009, 2010, and 2011, with a finish time of 2:57. She came back with second place finishes in 2013 and 2014. At the age of 50 Kathy isn’t slowing down- she posted an impressive 2:57 at USA Marathon Masters Championships last season, placing 6th overall in the nation.
Kathy strives to give back to the running community as much as she has personally gained from it. She turned her professional focus away from the corporate world to raise her family, and has coached cross country and track for several years. She is also currently teaching physical education and Wellness at the elementary and middle school level. She is involved in the organizational side of running as well, and has been a race director since 2012.
Just a few highlights of her masters racing career include:
• US Marathon Trials qualifier competitor (2000)
• USA 25k Masters National Champion (2008)
• Knoxville Marathon 3-time consecutive winner (2009, 2010, 2011)
• World Master Championships (2012): marathon age group champion and USA team (gold)
• Top masters performances in multiple US marathons including Rocket City and Columbus
• KTC Grand Prix awards winner (2007, 2008, 2009, 2014)
• Placed consistently in top 8 overall in USATF Masters Marathon Ch’ships (2008-2015)
• 2014 USATF Outdoor National Championships: 1500m and 5000m 2nd overall, 1st age group
• 2015 USATF Indoor Track and Field SE Region 1500m and 3000m champion
• 2015 USATF Indoor Track and Field Nationals 1500m, 5000m, 4x800, 4x400 age group champion
• 2015 USATF Outdoor Championships- 2nd place 1500m, 5000m. 1st place 4x 800, 4x 400 1st age group
Kathy’s boundless enthusiasm and support of her fellow runners is always a welcome site on the course, and her performance is a constant motivation for those who follow her footsteps, including her children age 8, 11, and 15.