Calhoun's 10 Miler Canceled!
We regret to announce that we are canceling the Calhoun's 10 Miler scheduled for January 20, 2018.
Knoxville Track Club representatives have been on site today and the course has been deemed unsafe. Close to nine miles of the course is on greenways that have not been treated for snow and ice. It is estimated that as much as 60% of the greenway sections have hazardous conditions.
After researching other options for running the race, we were unable to find a viable one that would work for all persons involved.
Per KTC policy, no refunds will be given, but pre-registered participants will be given a code for one free KTC road race-excluding Whitestone and the Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon, to be used within the next twelve months. The code will be emailed to participants.
KTC staff will be at Calhoun's Oak Ridge, 100 Melton Lake Peninsula, in the morning from 8:00-10:00 for those who would like to pick up their shirts. Our great sponsor Calhoun's will still prepare some food that was planned for post-race. This food will be available at 9:00. This will be a great time to socialize with some fellow runners.
KTC Safety Policy: KTC's mission is to encourage lifelong physical well-being through running and walking. That is accomplished through a variety of events and programming.
The Knoxville Track Club puts the safety of its participants, spectators, staff and volunteers first. Dangerous weather conditions pose a unique challenge to an event of any size, distance or location.
Therefore, KTC has adopted the following Inclement Weather Policy:
Weather forecasts will be monitored prior to the event, with special attention placed on the possibility of heavy rain, thunder and lightning, high winds, extreme temperatures and humidity. If necessary, athletes will be made aware of these conditions on Knoxville Track Club’s website (www.ktc.org), as well as through other available means of communication such as e-mail, Twitter, Facebook and public address announcements.
The Executive Director and Race Director in consultation, when available, with law enforcement, fire/EMS, other medical officers and other officials, will monitor the weather and make a decision if any action will be taken to modify the race. Possible changes include: Altering the start time, altering the course, or in extreme situations cancellation of the event. Visible lightning occurring within 30 minutes of the scheduled start will cause the race to be postponed for a minimum of 30 minutes. Additional sightings will continue to delay the race in 30-minute increments up to a maximum of 3 delays.
Race personnel reserve the right to delay, cancel, or suspend the race or modify the course due to inclement weather. As stated on registration and race pages, there are no refunds or transfers. Participants must abandon the race if ordered to do so by the race personnel, medical staff, fire/paramedics or police personnel.