Time, Date, and Place: Sunday, July 1, 2018 at 7:00 am. Starts and finishes at Ijams Nature Center.
Registration and Entry Fee (NO BIB TRANSFERS OR REFUNDS - NO EXCEPTIONS): Rocky Top Multisport Club and KTC Members eligible for 10% discount through race day. Bib pickup and a mandatory race briefing will be held on Saturday, June 30, 2018 from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM at (location TBD). Race entry:
- $300 per team through 4/30/18
- $350 per team from 5/1/18 through 6/1/18
- No race entries accepted without Race Director approval after 6/1/18
This is a very difficult event and we are thus very strict who we allow in. Registration applicants must include a racing résumé describing the ability of each participant to complete SwimRun Rocky Knox. Registrants not accepted into the event will not be charged race entry fees.
Applicants need to submit athletic details of the past 24 months with finish times and as many details as possible. Applicants ideally have reasonably fast and competent trail running and open water swimming experience and/or decent fast IRONMAN (sub 14:30 hours) or Half IRONMAN (sub 6:15 hours) times to their name, or have successfully completed an equivalent SwimRun event (such as SwimRun NC).
Course Description and Highlights: With running surfaces varying from greenway to single track, both lake and river swims, and scenes including sunflower fields, quarry overlooks, caves, and rock quarry cuts, SwimRun RockyKnox is a beautiful and fun adventure. Staged out of Ijams Nature Center, the race consists of a series of seven runs with six swims throughout the South Knoxville Urban Wilderness. This race is not for the faint of heart with total distances of approximately 14 miles of running and 3 miles of swimming. For those familiar with the area, the course may have some slight modification as we finalize it at race time. However, in general it looks like this:
- Run 1 – Ijams Nature Center down Will Skelton Greenway and Pink Marble Trail to the far end of Mead’s Quarry
- Swim 1 – Through Mead’s Quarry
- Run 2 – Flow Trail to Hickory Trail to Turnbuckle Trail to the Gravel Road back to Mead’s Quarry
- Swim 2 – Through Mead’s Quarry
- Run 3 – Will Skelton Greenway into the Forks of the River sunflower patches, to Dozer Trail, to Bluff Trail
- Swim 3 – French Broad River access from Bluff Trail to the head of the Tennessee River
- Run 4 – Tennessee River exit on Will Skelton Greenway, back to Pink Marble Trail to the far end of Mead’s Quarry
- Swim 4 – Through Mead’s Quarry
- Run 5 – Tharp Trace to Ross Marble to Keyhole to the Gravel Road back to Mead’s Quarry
- Swim 5 – Through Mead’s Quarry
- Run 6 – Straight out to the Tennessee River on the river access trail
- Swim 6 – Down the Tennessee River, between Otter Island and the south shore to a trail access point
- Run 7 – River Trail to Tower Trail to the finish line at Ijams
Swag: We’re still working on it, but it’s sure to be great!
Awards: Awards ceremony to be held after the race at Ijams Nature Center. Awards to the top 3 overall teams in each race category: All Male, All Female, and Coed.
Inclement Weather: Weather forecasts will be monitored prior to the event, with special attention placed on the possibility of heavy rain, thunder and lightning, high winds, extreme temperatures and humidity. If necessary, athletes will be made aware of these conditions on Knoxville Track Club’s website (www.ktc.org), as well as through other available means of communication such as e-mail, Twitter, Facebook and public address announcements.
The Executive Director and Race Director in consultation, when available, with law enforcement, fire/EMS, other medical officers and other officials, will monitor the weather and make a decision if any action will be taken to modify the race. Possible changes include: Altering the start time, altering the course, or in extreme situations cancellation of the event. Visible lightning occurring within 30 minutes of the scheduled start will cause the race to be postponed for a minimum of 30 minutes. Additional sightings will continue to delay the race in 30-minute increments up to a maximum of 3 delays.
Race personnel reserve the right to delay, cancel, or suspend the race or modify the course due to inclement weather. As stated on registration and race pages, there are no refunds or transfers.
Training: Race Directors will lead a series of training events leading up to the event. Training events will include portions of the course to familiarize participants with the varied terrain and trail network. Check the SwimRun RockyKnox Facebook page for updates on these training events.
Refreshments: Post-race refreshments will be served at the finish line at Ijams Nature Center.